This is a public service announcement. If you know someone with allergies, this is an important lesson. If you have allergies, you can probably relate.
Here it is: never feel sorry for someone with allergies. We don't want you to say "that's terrible because you can never eat ___". We don't want you to say "that sucks. I'm so glad I don't have allergies". The other day, I was reading an article about non-allergy people not understanding the severity of food allergies. The comments were all non-allergy people saying that they understand because they have seasonal allergies or they know how tough it is to not eat foods because they're vegan. The truth is, we have allergies and we manage them. People telling us that they feel sorry for us or they understand just points out our differences. Instead, tell us that you're here for us. That's it. Nothing complicated. We just want to know you're there.
No comments:
Post a Comment