Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Managing Medications: the Chronically Organized Way

Pill bottles are so 2014! I take a lot of medications for allergies and chronic illness, and it gets annoying. I have an entire extra bag when I travel because I need my Auvi-Qs, Benadryl, Tums, pain meds, and various prescriptions. At one point, I switched from carrying the separate pill bottles to a seven-day morning/night pill case. This worked until I got too lazy to fill it up every week. I suppose the pill bottles aren't too bad for me anyways. I tend to remember whether or not I've taken my meds. It's just a hassle.


I was talking to a friend about this (she has about 30 pills a day! Yikes!) and it turns out I'm just behind in my medication management. Those orange pill bottles are a thing of the past. These new options are so much better!

Target Pharmacy: ClearRx
This wasn't originally going to be part of my post here, but I was intrigued by the design of their pill bottle, which a friend recently sent me a picture of after she switched. First of all, they're much cuter to upcycle. Functionality-wise, the unique feature of Target's ClearRx bottles is the little ring. Each family member picks their ring color so you can quickly determine whose it is. The other benefit of Target's pharmacy is their 19 [allergen-free] flavoring options for liquid meds.

Curant Health: MedCare Complete
This one is mentioned in a popular video here by a teen who has an awesome blog about hospital life. The MedCare Complete service delivers your prescription meds and supplements to your door once a month, packaged by dose rather than by medication. Delivery is free and there are co-pay assistance programs. Each dose is in a blister pack labeled with the dose day/time and which medications it is. Curant Health specializes in working with patients who have several doctors. The downside to this service is that you must take at least four prescription meds daily to qualify.

The CareZone app was in my Top 6 Must-Have Allergy App list. Now their pharmacy services are getting recognition. Like Curant Health, CareZone delivers your prescription meds and, of course, vitamins to your door. Their delivery is also free. Each dose comes in a clear, recyclable packet with the date and time/name of dose and a list of which meds are included in the dose. You can tear off specific packets to travel. If you're reading a post on medication management, you probably qualify for this one. IT has fewer requirements than the Curant Health one. Their app is great for tracking your meds and it will tell you if you qualify without having to contact the company.

I hope you can make use of one of these services. I haven't tried any yet (yup, still collecting the orange pill bottles), so let me know how it goes. Between the CareZone app and the clear schedules of the Curant Health and CareZone packages, remembering to take your meds won't be a problem. If you just have morning and night doses, it's easy to keep a basket next to your bed with the meds. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment