- The dress. The most brilliant thing I saw on Pinterest this week was a wedding dress with an insulin pump pocket. When I ordered my prom dress, I asked the seamstress to install an EpiPen pocket during alterations. She had never heard of a prom dress pocket before, but happily agreed. Maybe this will be the start of a new trend. If you aren't so keen on this idea, see the medical devices section below.
- Medical alert jewelry. Unfortunately, teenagers tend to make a lot of bad decisions on prom night. Drinking leads to poor judgment, which is especially bad when something as simple as food can kill you. Avoiding alcohol is obviously the best choice, but even if you pledge not to drink, prom is not the night to skip out on your medical ID. There are a few [pricey] options out there for prom-appropriate medical alert bracelets and pendants. My plan is to get a cheap tag and find a local jeweler (or a crafty friend) who can make the bracelet part match my dress.
- Medical Devices. You saw the dress pocket thing above, but you probably have more to carry than can fit in there. Purses can be a drag. A small clutch may be cute for a phone, but if you have to tote an EpiPen, Auvi-Q, Benadryl, or diabetes supplies, that clutch isn't going to cut it. Luckily, there are a few awesome solutions to carrying EpiPens or an insulin pump, which need to be on you at all times, in addition to the aforementioned pocket. Garters, spandex, and even pocketed bras are all available at varying prices. To avoid carrying extra stuff, give Benadryl and diabetic supplies to a chaperone who has your emergency care plan.
- Food. This is the big one, and probably the most stressful for you. However, consulting with my lovely school nurse, we came up with a plan. First, I am going to call the restaurant ahead of time to warn them of my allergies and to see what they can prepare for me. Calling early might even give them time to order me special food. Next, I'm going to have a backup meal waiting for me in the car, in case I don't feel comfortable at dinner. Finally, I will provide the prom coordinators safe food to keep for me at the refreshment table in case I get hungry while I'm there. Sound thorough enough?
- [Parents, look away now.] Kissing. We all knew this was coming: the dreaded kissing lecture. As I've said before, this depends on the severity of your allergies. If airborne food particles can cause a reaction, you shouldn't be kissing someone who has eaten the food you're allergic to within a day. If you're contact/ingestion allergic, the general consensus from allergists is that a few hours and a good tooth brushing (plus flossing and rinsing) should keep you pretty safe. This also applies to sharing straws and utensils.
Now you can go have fun at prom! Let me know how it goes. If you have any additional tips or questions, please comment below!

No comments:
Post a Comment